Thursday, October 3, 2013

Weel 1 EOC: Great Costumer Service

According to Turban et al. "Customer service is a series of activities designed to enhance the level of customer satisfaction – that is, the feeling that a product or service has met the customer expectation."[1] (2002) Customer Service’s first rule is that “The customer is always right.” Even when they are rarely correct, it stands to reason that one might have to sacrifice their pride and even dignity to serve some, if not most, of the customers out there. Having had more than a handful of jobs that included customer service, I know how wrong customers can be. Unfortunately for them, I have a snarky, sarcastic way about me and they don’t seem to appreciate it when I answer them with anything but a “Yes Master” (Igor voice). Life isn’t as black and white as the consumers may see it, but far be it for me to show the dark and dirty side of all the varying shades of gray.

Now that we know that we can’t trust the customer to know exactly what they want only when and how they want it, it is my job to fit their square pegs into all the different round holes that they demand their service to be in. Perhaps I need to lead them on the primrose path to the answer that they are looking for, but don not know quite how to ask it. I’ve been given the gift of gab and I can relate to most people, so overall I can service anybody…depending on the price. I know if I’m getting paid to do a certain task, I will do that as best as I possibly can. If I’m not getting paid to do the job at hand, I’ll still do my job, but I’m not going to kill myself trying to help those than can clearly help themselves. I’m not a slave anymore and I would like to not be treated as such. If all else fails I say “Have a nice day, sir!” While wishing terrible things to happen to them.


1Turban, Efraim (2002). Electronic Commerce: A Managerial Perspective. Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-185461-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment